You have often noticed the “This site can’t be reached problem” if you are a Google Chrome user. There are multiple reasons why this kind of error occurs very frequently while surfing the internet. These error codes are not always mandatorily uniform in appearance. There are actually many more codes like DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN, Err_connection_failed etc. While all these errors occur very often while trying to reach particular websites, one can not deny that there are some tricks to fix the problem. Here in this article, we would be discussing how you can mend this problem with several easy techniques by following simple steps.
You may face different types of errors in your Google Chrome like, This site can’t be reached:
- The connection was reset (ERR_CONNECTION_RESET)
- Took too long to respond (ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT)
- Refused to connect (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED)
- Unexpectedly closed the connection (ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED)
- Chrome not connecting to Internet (ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED)
- Server IP Address could not be found chrome (ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)
Below are the simple solutions that works 100% for any of the above error in Chrome browsers that occur mostly.
How to Fix ‘This Site Can’t Be Reached’ Chrome Error? – 16 Methods
Method 1: Resetting the TCP/IP
1. Firstly, you would need to open the Command window on your computer.
2. Go to the Start button on your computer and write cmd in the search box. The command prompt option should appear shortly.
3. Right-click on the cmd option, and you would find “Run as Administrator”, select that option.
4. If you want to be prompted to the “User Account Control”, select “yes”.
5. Run these commands serially as we are providing here. After entering each command, press the Enter.
- netsh int ip set dns
- netsh winsock reset
6. After carrying out all these steps mentioned above, try restarting your PC to see whether the webpage gets loaded or not.
Method 2: Checking Automatically Detect Settings Option
1. Now, to open RUN, you would need to press the Windows key and R key simultaneously on the keyboard.
2. Just write inetcpl.cpl in the given box and then click on the OK button for the further process.
3. Go for the tab “Connections”, which you would find in the “Internet Properties” window.
4. Now click on the “LAN settings” in that window and check the “Automatically detect settings” if it is not checked already.
Method 3: IPv4 DNS Address Changing
Changing the IPv4 DNS address on your pc may be the possible solution to the “this site can’t be reached problem” if any of the other methods fail to give the expected results.
1. To begin with changing the IPv4 DNS address, you would be required to press both the Windows key and R key on the keyboard.
2. Now you would have to write ncpa.cpl in the given box and then click on the OK button to open it.
3. Next, you would have to double click on your internet connection to open the internet connection status window.
4. Click on the button called “Properties” under the “General” tab on the stated window.
5. Double click on the option when you find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) under the “Networking” section in the “Properties” tab.
6. Now you can set the DNS address manually in this tab. Enter the google public DNS server address 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 after selecting the “Use the following DNS server address” to apply DNS settings.
7. Click on the OK button after checking the “Validate settings upon exit” option.
8. Now tap on the OK button for updating the system.
Method 4: Allowing DNS Prefetching to Fix the Error
1. Open the Google Chrome browser from your device locate the three dots at the far right end of the page.
2. Now tap on the “Settings” option.
3. Now expand the Advanced option in the settings page in order to open the Advanced chrome settings.
4. Select the “Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly” option in the privacy section.
5. If there is no access for the option, then you need to Update the chrome to its latest version
Method 5: Running Windows Network Diagnostic
1. Press Windows key + R on the keyboard, type inetcpl.cpl and click the OK button.
2. To run the Network troubleshooter, you would have to click on the “Diagnose” button.
3. After the completion of diagnosis, once disconnect and then reconnect the internet on your computer.
Method 6: Disable the Experimental QUIC Protocol
1. Type chrome://flags/ in the address bar and then press the Enter key.
2. A page with several options would open in front of you. To get the Find box, press Ctrl + F on the keyboard.
3. Now type “Experimental QUIC protocol” in the Find box.
4. Now you would have to change the value for this flag from “Default” to “Disabled”.
5. After carrying out these steps, restart the chrome on your device.
Method 7: Changing Value for Maximum TLS Version Enabled
1. Go to chrome experimental features by typing chrome://flags in the Chrome address bar.
2. In order to use the Find box in chrome, press Ctrl + F on the keyboard.
3. Write TLS to find the Maximum TLS version enabled option in chrome.
4. Now change the default value to TLS 1.3 from the drop-down list present there.
5. Restart the Chrome browser and start reloading the webpage.
Method 8: By Restarting the DNS Client Service
One of the primary steps you can take to solve the “this site can’t be reached” problem is restarting the DNS Client Service.
1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box.
2. Type the command services.msc in the Run box and then press the Enter key.
3. Now look for the DNS client from the list of Services and then select it.
4. Go to the “Restart the service” option at the left side of the window and click on it.
5. After the DNS Client gets restarted, refresh the chrome page and try to load the webpage again.
Method 9: Resetting the Google Chrome Settings
1. To reset the chrome settings, type chrome://flags/ in the chrome search bar and then press the Enter button.
2. Now find the “Reset to default” option on the top of the flags page.
3. Click on that option in order to reset all of the chrome settings.
4. Run chrome after resetting it and open the webpage which you had trouble opening.
Method 10: Reinstalling Google Chrome
If none of the aforementioned ways work properly to fix the “This site can’t be reached” problem, you can resort to reinstalling the chrome.
1. Write the “Apps and features” window in the start menu to open the said window with all installed software.
2. Find Google Chrome in the list and then press on the “Uninstall” option.
3. After you finish uninstalling Google Chrome, go to their website and install the latest Google Chrome.
4. After successfully installing, you won’t face further problems regarding opening the problematic web pages.
Method 11: Resetting the Wi-Fi Modem
You should try resetting the Wi-Fi modem and also the separate router if any.
1. First you should plug out the power cord from the Wi-Fi router gently.
2. Now you would have to keep the reset button pressed for at least 10 to 20 seconds.
3. You can release the reset button once you notice the lights on the modem start to flicker.
4. The internet light should turn green after waiting for approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Try to reconnect to the internet connection. Fill in the account-related information as required in order to be able to reset the modem.
Method 12: Clearing Browser Cache, Cookies and History
1. Open the Google Chrome browser on your device.
2. Locate three dots on the top right corner of the Chrome window and click on it. You will get a list of available options.
3. Click on the “More tools” option and then tap on the “Clear browsing data” option.
5. You would find a Time Range at the top of that page. Select “All time” to delete everything.
6. Find the options called “Cookies and other site data” and “Cached images and files.”
7. Tick all the boxes and then click on the “Clear Data” option present in the bottom right side.
Method 13: Resetting Google Chrome Profile Sync
1. Open Google Crome on your computer.
2. Now find the Google dashboard in your Google Chrome profile.
3. Click on the option called “Reset sync” present at the bottom of the page.
4. Now click on the OK button and turn on the Sync again.
Method 14: Removal of Browser Extension from Chrome
1. Open the Google Chrome browser on your PC and click on the More icon at the page’s top right.
2. Now opt for the option called “More tools” from the menu and open the side menu on the page to select the option “Extensions.”
3. Now you would have to drag the blue slider accordingly to Disable the extension one after another.
4. Determine whether the browser extension is related to the particular error you are facing and remove it accordingly.
Method 15: Reinstalling Network Adapter Drivers
1. Open “My Computer” and right-click to find an option called “Manage” and click on it.
2. Now click on the Device Manager in order to see the full list of installed hardware on your PC.
3. Expand the “Network Adapters” after finding the same in the tab.
4. Now, click on the Uninstall button after right-clicking on the network connection you are using.
5. The drivers would get installed automatically when you restart your PC again. Once the whole process is done, try to reopen the web page again.
Method 16: Protection from Malware
Though it may not seem to be very obvious to a regular user, sometimes your computer might be infected with malware. More often than not, this type of malware is responsible for interfering with your network connection’s regular functions. Some of these malwares install proxy servers to your computer and then redirect and capture your internet traffic through the same. These malwares are, to a great extent, responsible for causing “This site can’t be reached” problems. So try to protect your PC from such malicious malwares in order to avoid network error problems.
How to Fix it When We Can’t Access Certain Websites Windows 10?
When you are unable to access certain websites in Windows 10, first check out the internet connection. If everything is ok with your network, there might be a problem in the website you are accessing. So, wait for a while and reload the site again. Else, try the below steps to troubleshoot and fix this issue.
1. Type Troubleshoot in the Windows search bar.
2. Click on Troubleshoot Settings and go to “Troubleshoot” located in the left side menu.
3. Now select Additional Troubleshooters option.
4. Click on Internet Connections and select Run the Troubleshooter.
5. Now it detects and fixes the problem that you are facing while connecting to the websites.
Even though the “This site can’t be reached” problem is a very prominent one to internet users, no one can deny that Google Chrome is not really responsible for this problem itself. Most of the time, these error problems occur due to external and unknown reasons. If only your Google Chrome is not updated to its latest version, this problem can arise in Chrome’s domain. So you can keep an eye on the updates of Google Chrome regularly so that you can prevent your browser from falling subject to these errors. There are many more reasons that may be a triggering factor for inducing such errors in Chrome. We hope you have found your answer by now as we have tried to give all the possible reasons and their solutions a clear outline in this article.