Are you frustrated with Spotify launching automatically when your computer starts up? Does it seem like no matter how many times you try to stop Spotify opens on startup, it keeps coming back? Don’t worry, you’re not alone! If this is a problem that has been plaguing your computing experience and wreaking havoc on your regularly scheduled activities, then keep reading–we’ll teach you everything you need to know about how to stop Spotify from opening on startup.
Why does Spotify Open on Startup?
There’s a few explanations on why does Spotify open on startup. Most likely, it has to do with the fact that you have enabled the “Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer” option in your settings. This is an automatic setting and will open as soon as you boot up unless specifically turned off–so double check if this isn’t what happened! It’s possible that Spotify is launching on startup because it has been set to open automatically when your computer turns on.
This allows you to always have access to all of the features and music available in Spotify without having to manually launch the application each time. Furthermore, the Spotify app might turn on to install any pending updates. Malware or viruses can also be culprits of applications opening without your knowledge; therefore, it’s advisable to scan your computer for malicious software if you come across any strange programs beginning up.
Why Should you Disable Spotify on Startup?
You might want to know how to disable Spotify on startup for several reasons:
- Performance: When several applications are set to launch automatically upon startup, it can create a strain on your system resources and bog down the performance of your computer. This is especially true when programs such as Spotify are included in this group, leading to an even more sluggish experience.
- Internet Bandwidth: If your internet connection is limited or you’re concerned about exceeding data limits, then disabling Spotify on startup might be the best option to prevent it from depleting your bandwidth. Updates and music streaming can cause a significant increase in usage if left unchecked, so make sure to disable Spotify at start-up if necessary.
- Privacy: For those of you who share their computers with others or don’t want to advertise what type of music they prefer, disabling Spotify on startup is the best option.
- Control: With the capacity to stop Spotify on startup, you are able to determine when and if the app is operational. This provides you with more oversight of your computer system and ensures that Spotify only runs if desired.
What Happens if you Turn Off Spotify on Startup?
Here you will get to understand what will happen if you turn off Spotify on startup. Disabling Spotify from starting up automatically prevents the app from launching when you power-on your device. That’s all it takes to ensure that Spotify won’t be a surprise presence every time you switch on!
If you’re looking to optimize your device while booting up, this is the way to go. Cutting down on startup programs will not only reduce load time but also save system resources and provide a much better performance in general. If you wish to use the app, however, it is quite simple. You can launch Spotify through clicking its icon or by opening it from your device’s Start Menu/Applications folder – depending on the OS of course!
How to Create a Shortcut to Open Spotify Without it Opening on Startup?
Follow this simple steps on how to create a shortcut to access Spotify quickly without it launching automatically every time your computer starts-up:
- To locate the Spotify application, check your desktop, taskbar, or applications folder.
- To create a shortcut for Spotify, simply right-click on desktop and tap on “Shortcut” under “New”. Then “Create Shortcut” prompt will appear.
- In create shortcut prompt, browse the location of the app and click “Next”.
- Now, enter the name for this shortcut and click “Finish” to create the shortcut.
- To personalize the shortcut, simply right-click and select “Properties” for a tailored experience.
- Enter “–disable-internal-task-manager” in the designated field at the end of your existing target path. For example, you’ll have something like this: “C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe” –disable-internal-task-manager
- To apply and save the changes, click “Apply” then select “OK”.
- When you double-click on the Spotify shortcut icon, it will no longer open automatically when you log in — instead, it will simply launch normally each time you click the shortcut.
How to Stop Spotify from Opening on Startup Windows?
Here are the ways on how to stop Spotify from opening on startup windows:
Disable Spotify on Windows From Task Manager
To stop Spotify on Windows startup, here are a few straightforward steps that you can take to prevent Spotify from starting automatically Windows:
- Easily access Task Manager by pressing “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” simultaneously or simply right-click on your taskbar and click “Task Manager” from the contextual menu.
- To begin, simply click on the “Startup” tab in the top corner of your Task Manager window.
- Locate the “Spotify” application on your list of startup programs, and then select it.
- At the bottom-right of your Task Manager window, click on “Disable” to complete this action.
- Now, close Task Manager window.
Disable Windows Spotify App From Startup Folder
All it takes is a few simple steps to disable Windows Spotify app from the Startup Folder. Here’s what you need to do:
- To open Startup folder, simply type “Run” in your search bar and select it from the list of results.
- In the Run dialog box that opens, enter “shell:startup” and click OK to proceed.
- To get rid of Spotify app, first open your Startup Folder. Once you’re there, look for the application and right-click on it.
- Choose “Delete” from the context menu to completely remove it from your system.
- Close the Startup Folder.
Disable Spotify Desktop App From System Configuration
Do you want know how to stop Spotify app from opening on startup on your desktop? It’s quite easy. Check out the steps required to disable Spotify desktop app from launching on startup from System Configuration!
- To open the “Run” dialog box, simply press both the “Windows + R” keys simultaneously. Next, type in “msconfig”, then click on the button labelled as “OK” for confirmation.
- Now, open System Configuration window and select the “Startup” tab. You’ll then need to search the list of startup items until you spot “SpotifyWebHelper” and “Spotify.exe” commands.
- Now, uncheck the corresponding boxes to disable.
- To save your changes, click “Apply” and then “OK”.
- Finally, restart your computer to ensure that the alterations take effect.
From Spotify App on Windows
Disabling Spotify app on Windows startup is a hassle-free and easy process – just follow these straightforward steps!
- To open the Spotify app Windows, launch it on your computer.
- To access your profile information, click the down arrow located in the top-right corner of the window next to your profile picture.
- Access the “Settings” option in the dropdown menu to view available options.
- Now scroll down and click on “Show Advanced Settings” option.
- Then find the “Startup and window behaviour” section for further customization.
- To deactivate the “Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer” feature, choose “No” in the drop down menu.
- Afterwards, go ahead and close your Settings window.
Disable Spotify Windows App From Settings
To quickly disable Spotify Windows app, simply follow these easy steps on how to stop Spotify from opening on startup from settings:
- To open Windows Settings, press “Windows + I” on your keyboard.
- Now tap on the “Apps” section under “Settings” and then click on “Startup”.
- Locate the Spotify App under Startup Apps section. Then, switch off its toggle button and you’re all set!
- Close the Settings window.
Use Third-Party Software to Disable Spotify on PC
Follow these steps to easily disable Spotify on PC with third-party software:
- To effectively manage the programs that launch at startup, download third party application such as CCleaner or Autoruns and install it.
- Launch CCleaner and navigate to “Tools”.
- Now, locate the “Startup” tab or section.
- Find and select “Spotify” on the list of startup programs under Windows.
- To disable Spotify on startup, simply select it and click “Disable”.
- Finally, save the changes and exit the software.
What are the Ways to Stop Spotify From Opening on Startup Mac?
Here are the different ways on how to stop Spotify from opening on startup Mac:
To prevent Spotify from automatically launching when you turn on your Mac, here are the straightforward steps to follow on how to stop Spotify from opening on startup from the Applications folder:
- Access the Finder application by simply tapping on the vibrant blue and white smiling face icon in your dock.
- To locate the Spotify application, select “Applications” in the left-hand sidebar and then scroll until you find it listed.
- Right-click on “Spotify” app and select “Get Info” from the context menu.
- To prevent Spotify from automatically launching when you switch on your Mac, uncheck “Open at Login”.
- Close the “Spotify Info” window.
Disable Spotify in Mac From System Preferences
To easily disable Spotify in Mac, follow these simple steps on how to stop Spotify from opening on startup from System Preferences:
- To access your System Preferences, begin by clicking the Apple icon in the top-left corner of your screen. Then select “System Preferences” from the dropdown menu that appears.
- To access your user account, click on the “Users & Groups” tab.
- Now select your profile in the left-hand sidebar.
- Access the “Login Items” tab at the top of your window, and find “Spotify” in the list of login items.
- To remove “Spotify” from your login items, click the minus button underneath the list.
- Finally, close the Users & Groups window to complete this process.
Disable Spotify Mac App From User Login Items
To quickly disable Spotify from your Mac’s User Login Items, simply follow these steps:
- To start, simply click the Apple logo in your device’s top-left corner. Subsequently, choose “System Preferences” from the subsequent dropdown menu that appears.
- Next, click on “Users & Groups”.
- Now select your own user account from the list displayed in the left-hand sidebar.
- To find Spotify Mac app in the list of login items, simply click on the “Login Items” tab at the top of your window. Your desired application should appear shortly after!
- Uncheck the box next to “Spotify”.
- Finally close the “Users & Groups” window.
Disable Spotify on MacBook From LaunchAgents
Here are the simple steps to disable Spotify on MacBook from the LaunchAgents:
- Launch the Finder application by tapping on the blue and white face icon in your dock.
- To access the folder, simply click on “Go” located in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
- When you do this, a dropdown menu will appear; from here select “Go to Folder…” – and you’re all set!
- To locate the “Go to Folder” window, enter the following path: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
- To open the “LaunchAgents” folder, simply click on the “Go” button.
- Locate and erase the file titled “com.spotify.webhelper.plist” for optimal results.
- Restart your MacBook.
Disable From the Spotify App on Mac
If you’re looking to turn off Spotify from the app on your Mac, here are some simple steps that can help:
- To get started, open the Spotify app on Mac. Then locate and tap “Spotify” from the top-left corner of the window.
- Now, choose “Preferences” from the dropdown menu.
- Under Spotify Preferences, click “Show Advanced Settings”.
- Then scroll down to “Startup and window behaviour” section.
- In “Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer” drop down menu choose “No”.
- Finally close the Spotify Preferences window.
Use Third-Party Software to Disable Mac Spotify App – App Cleaner & Uninstaller
Follow the easy steps below to use App Cleaner & Uninstaller, a third-party software, and disable Mac Spotify app:
- Download App Cleaner & Uninstaller either via the official developer website or your favourite App Store, and start using it right away!
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller and click “Startup Programs”.
- Now, identify the “Spotify” app under “All programs” section.
- To disable Spotify startup program, simply click “Disable” located at the bottom right corner of the screen.
How do I Stop Spotify From Opening on Startup Android?
Here one can understand how to stop Spotify from opening on startup Android.
Disable Spotify Android From App Permissions
Follow these straightforward steps to disable Spotify Android From App Permissions:
- To customize the settings of your Android device, open the “Settings” app and scroll down to select either “Apps & Notifications” or “Apps”.
- Now click “Manage apps” and then tap on “Permissions”.
- Locate and tap on “Autostart” under manage apps permissions.
- To disable Spotify on Android startup, simply toggle off the switch next to Spotify.
- Finally, Android Spotify app from opening automatically on startup issue resolved.
How to Prevent Spotify From Opening on Startup in iPhone?
Here you will get to know how to prevent Spotify from opening on startup in iPhone.
Disable Spotify on iPhone From Background App Refresh
If you want to turn off Spotify on iPhone from background app refresh, here are the easy steps:
- Unlock your iPhone and launch the Settings app. Scroll down to locate “General”, then tap on it for further options.
- Click “Background App Refresh” in general settings.
- Now, locate “Spotify” in Background App Refresh.
- To disable Background App Refresh for Spotify, toggle off the switch next to Spotify.
- Follow the same process to deactivate any other apps from receiving background updates. After completing these steps, close the Settings app to save your changes.
Commonly Found Startup Programs and Services
Here are some examples of commonly found startup programs and services that you may find on a Windows computer:
- Antivirus software
- Dropbox or other cloud storage apps
- Instant messaging or communication apps (e.g. Skype, Slack)
- Media players (e.g. iTunes, VLC)
- Adobe Creative Suite or other software suites
- Virtual assistants (e.g. Cortana, Siri)
- Graphics card software (e.g. NVIDIA Control Panel, AMD Catalyst Control Center)
- Printer software
- Microsoft Office Suite or other productivity software
- Browser extensions (e.g. LastPass, AdBlock)
- Windows Update
- Security Center
- Remote Desktop Services
- Print Spooler
- Bluetooth Support Service
- Windows Audio
- Network Connections
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- System Event Notification Service
- Task Scheduler Service
Hidden Startup Programs
Although hidden startup programs may not be visible in the typical areas of a Windows computer like the Startup folder or Task Manager, they are still present and can wreak havoc on your system. These potentially hazardous applications might have been secretly installed without you even knowing it – or intentionally concealed by malicious software. In order to identify and disable these invisible startup programs from running when booting up computer, here are some helpful tips:
- Use a Dedicated Startup Manager: In order to identify and deactivate any hidden startup programs, you can rely on Autoruns, CCleaner, and Glary Utilities – three reliable third-party startup managers.
- Check the Registry: In the Windows Registry, you might find certain hidden startup programs. To open it up, press Windows key + R, then type “regedit” and hit Enter. Once there, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and HKEY_CURRENT_USER \SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run for any suspicious entries that could be lurking in the background of your system.
- Check Task Scheduler: If some of your startup programs are hidden, they may be configured to launch at Windows startup using Task Scheduler. To check this out, head over to the Control Panel and go to System and Security > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler – look for any odd jobs that have been programmed to run when you start up!
- Run Antivirus Program: Unrecognized startup programs could be warning signs of malware or adware, so it is essential to run a comprehensive scan with an esteemed antivirus program. This step will help detect and eradicate any sinister software on your computer system.
10 Startup Programs you Can Safely Disable to Speed Up Windows
Are you looking for a way to optimize Windows performance? Then these 10 startup programs are definitely worth disabling as they can help boost speed and save resources!
- QuickTime: If you never use QuickTime, then disabling this program from launching with Windows is a safe and secure choice.
- Adobe Reader: If you don’t need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents, you can quickly disable it from launching at the start of Windows.
- iTunes: If you’re not a frequent user of iTunes, you can easily prevent it from launching when Windows start up.
- Microsoft Office: If you don’t usually use Microsoft Office, you can prevent it from launching automatically each time you start up Windows.
- Skype: To prevent Skype from running in the background and affecting your computer’s performance, you can easily disable it to stop launching at startup.
- Dropbox: If you don’t need Dropbox to launch each time Windows starts up, then feel free to disable it from the startup settings.
- Google Chrome: If you’d like to prevent Google Chrome from automatically launching upon Windows startup, it’s easy to turn that feature off.
- Java Update Scheduler: If you don’t require Java to launch automatically, feel free to disable Java Update Scheduler from launching with Windows. This will save both time and resources in the long run.
- RealPlayer: To ensure your computer runs at an optimal speed, deselect RealPlayer from the startup options if you’re not actively using it.
- Spotify: To ensure your computer runs smoothly, you may want to consider disabling Spotify from starting up with Windows unless it is necessary.
Prevention Tips on How to Keep Spotify From Opening on Startup
By following these simple tips, you can understand how to keep Spotify from opening on startup:
- Disable Spotify from the Startup folder: To access the Startup folder, press Windows key + R and type “shell:startup” in the Run box. Once you’ve opened this directory, simply right-click on the Spotify shortcut to delete it.
- Disable Spotify from Task Manager: To access Task Manager, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard. Then, visit the “Startup” tab and locate Spotify in the list. Finally, right-click Spotify and select “Disable” to instantly disable it from loading automatically when you boot up your computer or device.
- Disable Spotify from the Settings app: You can remove Spotify from startup by pressing the Windows key + I which will open up your Settings app. Head over to “Apps” and select “Startup.” From there, you’ll be able to find Spotify in the list of apps; just toggle its switch to “Off” and it won’t run when you boot up your computer anymore.
- Uninstall Spotify: If you don’t utilize Spotify frequently, it is recommended that you remove the program from your computer completely. This can easily be achieved by heading to “Apps & Features” in the Settings app and selecting Spotify followed by a click on “Uninstall.”
What Is Spotify? – A Beginner’s Guide For Music Streaming
Learn How To Download Spotify: Enjoy Un-Interrupted Music Anywhere
From Installation To Launch: How To Open Spotify On Different Platforms
How To Fix Spotify Not Showing On Discord: Causes And Troubleshooting Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does Spotify keep opening on startup?
Spotify may launch automatically at startup due to it being specified that way in the app’s settings or because it is part of your device’s list of apps that are enabled on start.
How to stop Spotify from opening on startup on Mac?
If you want to stop Spotify from automatically starting up on your Mac, there are a few simple solutions! You can prevent it from opening by disabling the application in System Preferences or removing it from your Startup Folder. As an alternative, installing third-party software will also do the trick.
How to stop Spotify from opening on startup Samsung?
Absolutely, you can prevent Spotify from automatically opening on startup with a Samsung or other Android device. Accomplish this goal by disabling the app’s permissions, turning off the option to start up in its settings menu, or using third-party software. With one of these methods, you no longer have to dread seeing your music streaming platform pop up every time you switch on your phone!
How to stop Spotify from opening on startup in car?
If you don’t want Spotify to start playing automatically when you get into your car, simply disable its launch from the infotainment system of your vehicle or turn off the auto-start option within the app itself on any connected device.
How to stop Spotify from opening on startup without deleting?
You don’t have to delete Spotify in order to prevent it from automatically opening on startup. There are multiple ways you can do this, such as by disabling the app from your device’s startup list, or turning off its automatic start option within the application. Additionally, certain third-party software may also assist with this task.
Will stopping Spotify from opening on startup affect my playlists or saved music?
You need not fear that disabling Spotify from startup will cause your playlists and saved music to disappear – it simply means the app won’t load automatically when powering on.
Ultimately, disabling Spotify from startup can help increase computer’s performance. You have the option to delete the shortcut from the Startup folder, disable it in Task Manager or Settings app, or remove it entirely. Taking any of these steps on how to stop Spotify from opening on startup will produce a positive result!