The Cache files always occupy storage in our pc and slows down the system processing time. It is necessary to know how to clear cache on Windows 10 desktop to free up space and increase the device performance. Any Windows operating desktop is full of temporary files, which helps the operating system to do a better job. At times these files can get damaged or corrupt and they begin to interfere with the performance of your computer. Clearing cache Windows 10 is a good start for troubleshooting system issues and can free up storage space on your computer.
What is Hidden Cache?
Cache’s name itself sounds a bit technical, but it’s not. In simple words, a cache file is a non-permanent file that is needed as a reference for future purposes and is kept hidden away from other files in the system and used when the time comes. The memory where these cache files are stored up is called cache memory. One of the main positive factors in deleting cache files is that it will help boost your system’s overall performance as they use up too much of its storage. But, no worries, you can safely delete all of these files and empty your disk space.
Method 1: How to Clear Computer Cache Windows 10 by Deleting Temporary Cached Files
1. Type “Run” in Windows search panel and Launch Run tab. Also, you can use the “Windows + R” key combination to open the “Run” tab.
2. Next, in the Run dialogue box, type “%temp%” and select “OK.” This makes AppData visible on your Windows 10.
3. Select all files in the Temp folder in AppData > Local and Right-click on them. Select “Delete” from the menu bar. This is how to clear App Cache files on Windows 10.
4. Now reopen the Run Command box and type “temp” command and click OK.
5. Now, right-click and select all Temp files in Local Disk > Windows. From the downward menu bar, select “Delete” and delete all files under section. With this, you have successfully deleted all temporary files from your computer.
Method 2: How to Clear Windows Browser Cache?
With the other cache files, at times, you might also need to clean up cache in your web browser, especially if you find it difficult to open certain websites.
Google Chrome Windows Clear Cache
1. Click on Three Vertical Dots situated at upper right of menu bar.
2. Next, click “More Tools” and then “Clear Browsing Data”. On next pop-up window, select “Clear Data.”
Firefox Web Browser Clear Cache and Cookies
1. Open the Firefox browser and click on three horizontal lines located at the top right of menu bar.
2. Next, from the downward menu bar, click “Options.” Now, on the “Privacy and Security” page.
3. Click on “Clear History” and then select the Time range and data that you want to remove. Finally click on OK button.
Microsoft Edge Cache Clearing
1. Click on three horizontal dots situated at extreme right of menu bar and select “Settings”.
2. Under the “Privacy, search and services” > “Clear browsing data” section, select “Choose what to clear” on the new page.
3. Select files or sites you would like to delete and click “Clear Now.”
To clear Microsoft Edge cache without opening all these settings, just open the browser and press Ctrl + Shift + Delete. It directly displays the Clear browsing data screen as shown above.
Method 3: How to Clear Thumbnail Cache Windows 10?
1. Open “Windows File Explorer” on your computer. Then go to “View” tab.
2. Next, enable “Hidden Items”.
3. Navigate to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer, where you have installed Windows 8 or 8.1 in “C” folder. User is described as the username of your particular account. If Windows 8 or 8.1 has been installed on D:\ and your username is “Anna,” the path you need to navigate to is: D:\Users\Anna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
4. Select every file that starts with “thumbcache”.
5. Right-click on all the selected files and click “Delete.”
1. Go to the Windows search panel and type “Disk Cleanup.” Open the “Disk Cleanup” tab.
2. A new pop-up window appears to clean up files from Local Disk C. Select the files and folders you want to delete. Press “OK”.
Method 4: How to Clear Cache on PC with CCleaner?
This is one of the quickest and easiest solutions you could clear the Windows 10 cache and learn how to clear memory on Windows 10 PC.
1. Download and Install CCleaner on your desktop.
2. Open “CCleaner” and click “Analyze” that appears on the first page of the software.
3. Next, after CCleaner has analyzed your computer cache files, click on “Clean All.”
4. Your unwanted cached files have been successfully removed.
Method 5: How to Clear Cache on Windows 10 PC using Settings App (Free Up Space)
Another solution to clear cache or temporary files from your desktop is to use the Settings app.
1. Go to Windows “Start” button situated at the left end of screen and click “Settings” icon.
2. In the Settings window page, click on “System.”
3. Next, click on “Storage,” located at the left side panel and Go to “Configure Storage Sense or run it now”.
4. Scroll down and find the “Free up space now” section. There, click on the “Clean now” option.
5. Now, wait till the scanning process is complete, then carefully select the files you want to remove and click “Remove Files.”
6. Wait till the deleting process is finished. This will delete all MS Windows store purge caches.
Method 6: How to Clear Memory Cache Windows 10 Cmd?
We shall show you how you could clear Windows DNS cache by using Command Prompt on your Windows 10 computer. Clearing DNS in Windows 10 will help you access websites quicker than before and lets you browse websites you had trouble opening before.
1. Open “Command Prompt” by searching “cmd” from the Windows search panel.
2. On the right panel, click “Run as administrator”.
3. A new window of command prompt will open. Type in the below-mentioned command: “ipconfig /FlushDNS” and click “Enter”.
4. Next, the system will prompt a message notifying that it successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache after typing in the command mentioned above. Close the command prompt window and restart your device. At times Windows Store cache may be damaged and it can be easily resolved with this solution.
Method 7: How to Clear Files in Windows Prefetch Folder Section on Windows 10 PC
1. Open the “Run” dialogue box by using the “Windows + R” key combination and type in “Prefetch” into the given dialogue box. Click “OK”.
2. Next, the “C:\windows\prefetch” folder will open and display the windows prefetch files.
3. Right-click on the file and select “Properties.” Now you can see how much storage space a particular file consumes.
4. Go back to the “Prefetch” folder and right-click on it. Select the files that you want to remove, right click and click on “Delete” option.
5. Next, go to the recycle bin and empty the files. This will free up space in your system.
Method 8: How to Clear History Cache on Windows 10 Laptop?
All the above solutions work successfully for all Windows 10 computers. The method we will discuss now is specifically tested for laptops to make use of this method with simple steps.
Option 1: Clear Device History Cache Files
1. Click the “Start” button on your keyboard and select the “Settings” icon above it.
2. Next, click “Privacy” on the Settings page.
3. Click “Location” tab on the left panel of the privacy menu bar.
4. Scroll your cursor downwards to the Location History of your Windows 10 device. Press “Clear History on this device.”
5. Your history cache has been successfully removed from your laptop.
Option 2: Clear Activity History Cache Files
1. Type “Activity History Privacy Settings” under the Windows Search panel and Press “Enter.”
2. A new page of “Activity History” will open, and click “Clear” to clear activity history.
3. The process of clearing activity history is complete.
Method 9: How to Clear Windows Store Cache?
Windows Store creates and downloads temporary files when you download and install apps on your desktop. To clear Windows Store cache files, perform following steps:
1. Press “Windows + R” key combination and Launch Run tab.
2. Type “wsreset.exe” in the run dialogue box and hit “OK.”
3. Wait for the task to complete; the windows store will appear after the process is completed, and you can clear cached files.
We hope our guide has helped you with the necessary solutions you need to free up space on your Windows 10 computer by clearing all cache files. All our methods are tested and examined before getting listed in our guide. We have curated 8 solutions that work well with every Windows 10 desktop. Make sure to perform each solution as mentioned in the step-by-step process carefully. If you are running out of system space or notice any other problems with your computer not functioning, well, do not hesitate to delete or clear the cache. Make use of any one method and clear any specific cache from your computer. Once you have cleared the cache from your desktop, you will notice that your system will speed up its system performance.