We all have noticed that our Gmail inbox is often loaded with a medley of emails. Among these emails, some are important ones, while others are simply just promotional emails. With these emails, it becomes tough to organize your Gmail’s inbox. One such important tool in Gmail is the Archive which will help you keep your emails in order. Moreover, depending on the type of backup solution your account has, email archiving will pace the process to store your emails wherever you need them. Plus, the process of restoring non-archived emails becomes faster since there is less load over your inbox.
How to Archive and Unarchive in Gmail?
What does it mean to Archive an Email?
Rather than deleting unwanted emails, you can clear your account just by Archiving them. In short, Archive means to hide email from inbox instead of deleting it completely. This feature only hides mail from the main view, and you can thus unarchive it later. An archive file is where multiple emails are stored into a single space for convenience and storage or compressing several files to reduce storage space.
What happens to Archived Emails in Gmail?
Put in simple words, it’s like keeping unwanted things in a storage box and later using them when needed. The only difference is that you wouldn’t get access to it right away when you Archive an email but will have to dig in a little to find it. Where do Archived Emails go in Gmail? So the moment you archive a particular email, it disappears from inbox mail. Archived emails do not have a separate folder, so all of these emails go to the All Mail folder that stores all of your other emails.
How long do Archived Emails Stay in Gmail?
There is no limit to the stay of emails that are marked as archived. Archived emails remain archived until and unless you will manually unarchive them. Moreover, if anyone replies to your archived email, it will reappear again in your inbox, or it stays archived till no one responds to it.
Gmail Archive vs Delete
On archiving mails, they move from Inbox to All Mail section. It won’t be visible in the Inbox, but in case if you want to access them later, you can go to All Mails and retrieve them. If you delete the mail, it directly goes to Trash and if you want to access you need to retrieve it before 30 days. After 30 days it is deleted permanently from the Trash. So, if you want to hide the mail without getting deleted, just archive that mail.
Let’s now move on to the step-by-step guide to Archive and Unarchive an email in Gmail.
Where is Archive in Gmail and How to Use?
How to Archive an Email in Gmail (Desktop)?
1. Launch the Gmail website and login into your account.
2. Scroll your cursor to the email you want to archive. There will be a list of icons at the right of the email. Click on the “Archive” button, and your email will be archived.
3. Now your email will be moved to the “All Mails” section.
How to Archive Multiple Emails in Gmail?
On the other hand, you can also Archive multiple emails at once.
1. Select the emails you want to archive by “Checking” the box on its left side.
2. After checking the respective emails, click on the “Archive” tab located at the top bar.
3. You can now check and see in the “All mails” tab if your emails have been successfully archived. So, if you don’t know how to find Archived Emails in Gmail on Android/iOS App or Desktop, just open your Gmail, click on More and go to ‘All Mail’.
How to Archive an Email through Android and iPhone Apps?
1. Launch the Gmail App on your device and open your email inbox.
2. Press and hold the email for 2 seconds to select it. Once it has been selected, click on the archive icon that is situated at the top.
3. Likewise, if you want to archive multiple emails at once, simply press and hold on one email and select it.
4. Then tap on the next profile icons of the other emails and select them too. Once all the emails are selected, click on the Archive tab.
How to Unarchive Emails from Gmail?
Solution 1: How to Unarchive Gmail (Desktop)?
As said before, all the archived emails are stored in the All Mails folder. You will need to open the archived email to unarchive mail manually. Below is the step-by-step guide on how to Gmail undo Archive.
1. Launch your Gmail account. On the left section, click on the “All Mail”, which is Gmail archive folder.
2. In case you do not find the “All Mail” folder, click on “More,” located on the left sidebar.
3. Now you can get the “All Mail” folder that also includes the archived emails. Select the Gmail archived mail that you want to unarchive. When the email opens, click the “Move to Inbox” tab. Your email will now be directed back to your inbox section.
Solution 2: How to Unarchive from (Gmail App)?
1. Open the Gmail App on your Android or iPhone device.
2. Tap on the three-line bar that is located at the top left of the page. Click on “All Mail.”
3. Click three dots icon on the top-right of the page and choose “Move to Inbox”.
4. Now you can find archived Gmail in your inbox.
At the end of our guide, you must have figured out how to Archive and Unarchive your emails. We have also helped with how to access archived emails in Gmail. The archive feature is like a storage cabinet where one can store emails. Using this tool, you can read a particular email in the future and lessen the load over your inbox. It is a simple way to keep your emails saved into another folder rather than deleting them completely. Archiving your emails is an easy way to free up space in your inbox. We hope our detailed information has helped you solve your queries regarding archiving and unarchiving an email.